Please feel free to spread, make objections, or contribute to it.
The concept is very simple: “Blocking” the communication on internet by sending out simple action ideas everybody can do offline in their own place. Why using the word ‘strike’ here? I think it’s time to re-define the meaning of this word by not just understand it as a “NO” and “LET’S STOP”, but adding a “YES” and “LET’S MOVE” to it. Anyway, if you have something better, let me know.
– to provide an easy way to many people to discuss our issues and join our movements.
– to attract attention to the wide range of alternatives we already have.
– to raise awareness for the mobilisations planned in this spring.
– to use and show the power of the diversity of our networks.
– it’s legal and peaceful, so everybody can join without any risk.
– many people love facebook and twitter, so this action is not directed against those corporations, it’s merely a symbolic way to occupy social media by pointing at simple offline choices of daily life that can make a difference.
– the action ideas can be suggested by everybody, including local assemblies and friendly social movements (environment, gender, peace, etc)
– the action ideas can be adapted to local contexts, for example by adding links to existing initiatives in your area.
– the action ideas themselves should be radical and not just symbolic, in the sense that if many people would actually do it, it makes a significant change (with this action, I don’t want to encourage signing more online petitions and having mediations for world peace, but that’s open for discussion)
– this campaign is done without any money – only volunteers and free tools that already exist.
Some suggestions for actions
– today I prepare a meal for my family/friends with only local and organic products
– today I don’t use my car, but I walk, cycle or use public transportation
– today I make a sign about […] and show it to the world
– today I buy nothing, but instead exchange something without money
– today I transfer to a ‘fair bank’
– today I send a message of solidarity to […]
– today I get in touch with my local assembly to see when the next meeting is and think about my contributions
– today I go to my work to discuss with my colleagues how we can solve the financial crisis by laying off our bosses
What else is needed
– an easy-to-use tool to get local assemblies involved (a blog with a commentform?)
– a timetable, defining when and how long this action is going to be
– construction of a slogan/logo/trailer/introtext to build a “coherent campaign identity” (maybe something like “we are not working for the world we have, we are networking for the world we want”)
– contact groups that may be interested to support this (like Bank Transfer Day and many others)
This idea is not new, and there are some practical issues and limitations to be discussed.
Interested to work on this? I will present this proposal at the next meeting of our Actions and Alternatives WG on Sunday March 11, 20:00 (GMT+1) server: occupytalk.org, room: round table. Meanwhile we can improve it and just start working. All we need is a good first list of suggestions for the actions, some designers, and a bunch of social media addicts, and when we feel we are ready: we just go.
Contact me at email@example.com